Null references redux

Jesse Phillips jesse.k.phillips+d at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 12:18:07 PDT 2009

Rainer Deyke Wrote:

> You could argue that assigned a 'B' to a variable that is declared to
> hold an 'A' is already a memory safety violation.

Yeah, it was brought to my attention that "type safety" by a friend could be another form. bearophile also brings up a good example.

>If so, then the exact argument also applies to assigning 'null' to the same variable.

I think that is what Walter is getting at, you're not dealing with memory that is correct, when this happens the program should halt and be dealt with from outside the program.