Null references redux

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Sep 28 15:34:57 PDT 2009

Yigal Chripun:

>Have you ever heard of Stalin (i'm not talking about the dictator)?<

Stalin accepts only a certain subset of Scheme, you can't use some of the nicest things.
And while ShedSkin is slow, Stalin is really slow, so slow that compiling largish programs becomes not handy (I think times like 100 seconds for 500 lines-long programs, I don't know if such timings have improved in the meantime, I hope so).

> the other way would be to write high level very regular code that can be
> maintained, easier to reason about and leave optimization to the tools.

Life is usually a matter of finding a balance. If you care of performance you don't use Scheme, you use a handy language that doesn't force the compiler to work a LOT, for example C#.

Bye,
bearophile