Common ground. Re: Null references redux

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Sep 29 08:18:40 PDT 2009

Jeremie Pelletier:

> Flow analysis must be implemented by the compiler, nonnull references
> can be enforced by a runtime wrapper

The point of nonnull references is all in its compile-time enforced constraints.

> Besides DMD must have some basic flow analysis already since it does
> notice when a code path does not return, it just need to be extended to
> include unitialized variables.

You have probably missed them, but flow analysis in D was discussed a lot in the past. I don't think Walter wants to implement it. If you help implement it, showing that it can be done, he may change his mind.

Bye,
bearophile