Null references redux + Cyclone

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Sep 30 09:37:31 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu:

> I wonder whether this would be a good topic for TDPL. Currently I'm
> thinking it's too low-level. I do plan to insert a short section about
> implementation, just not go deep inside the object model.

It's a very good topic for the book. Any good book about computer languages teaches not just a language, but also good programming practices and some general computer science too. In a big book about a system language I want to see "under the cover" topics too, otherwise I'll need to buy another book to learn them :-) So it's good for a book about a system language to explain how some parts of the compiler are implemented, because such parts are code too (and the level of such code can be the same, if someday will translate the D front-end to D).
For example I have appreciated the chapter about Python Dict implementation in a chapter of "Beautiful code".
I think you aren't interested in my help any more, but I hope you will follow this suggestion of mine (I'll buy your book anyway, but I know what I'd like to find in it). On the other hand writing about topics you don't know enough about may be negative, in such situation avoiding the topic may be better.

Bye,
bearophile