The D programming language newsgroup should lift its game

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 08:44:53 PDT 2010

Don wrote:
> Mike Parker wrote:
>>
>> A big start would be ditching the newsgroups for proper forum
>> software. I know a lot of people here prefer the newsgroups, but like
>> it or not this is 2010. Newsgroups are from yesteryear.
>
> I have to say, most forums seem incredibly amateurish to me. I'm amazed
> that absolute garbage like phpBB is actually still in use. Is there any
> *good* forum software out there? It doesn't seem like it would be hard
> to beat a newsgroup. But...

My favorite is SMF [1], which you can see in action at [2] and [3]. I
ran it on a DAOC guild website I used to manage and loved how simple it
was to administer. They are now working toward a 2.0 release, but I
haven't played with any of the RCs yet.

Another I like is vBulletin [4], which I use regularly at [5] and
elsewhere. Unlike SFML, it's a commercial offering and I've never seen
the admin side. Personally, though, SMF is my favorite, both as a user
and an admin.

[1] http://www.simplemachines.org/
[2] http://lwjgl.org/forum/
[3] http://www.javagaming.org/