The D programming language newsgroup should lift its game

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sat Apr 3 11:29:46 PDT 2010

Mike Parker wrote:
> My favorite is SMF [1], which you can see in action at [2] and [3].

Here's a link:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=374244.0

It is typical of web forum software and has the usual problems:

1. no threaded display, it's difficult to see who is replying to what.

2. Lots of irrelevant and annoying pictures, multiple fonts, borders, ads, etc.
The focus is on glitz rather than content.

3. It seems that less than half of the browser window is actually taken up by
the meat, and in a painfully small font, too. If you've got a small screen, like
on say a portable, it's hopeless.

Yes, I suppose it's all customizable, but nearly all forum software follows this
style, and blows for the same reasons.

I know the php web interface to the D newsgroups sucks. I make no apologies for it.

The only web forum software I actually like is reddit.com and the similar one at
ycombinator.com. Unfortunately, it has no interface to newsgroups. Digg and
slashdot suck with their awful interfaces.