The D programming language newsgroup should lift its game

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sat Apr 3 11:41:18 PDT 2010

Mike Parker wrote:
> A big start would be ditching the newsgroups for proper forum software.
> I know a lot of people here prefer the newsgroups, but like it or not
> this is 2010. Newsgroups are from yesteryear. People who weren't online
> in their heyday don't expect to have to use them (for that matter, there
> are those who *were* around and don't expect to have to use them). When
> someone checks out a project for the first time, it's quite common these
> days that one of the first stops is the project's forums. No forums? Ah
> well, too bad. Next project.

A counterpoint is that the serious work that goes on with C++ is done with
mailing lists, which behave pretty much like a private newsgroup. You could
argue that the people who work on C++ are older fuddy-duddies, with some
justification, but still, they are very serious and find the format effective.

But you still have a good point.