The D programming language newsgroup should lift its game

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sat Apr 3 13:45:59 PDT 2010

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> It's the exact same size I use in my NG reader and it's perfectly readable
> to me. Maybe your resolution is too high. If it's changed, other people may
> find it too big, so it's hard to say that it's the page's fault. As far as
> portables, I can't imagine any portable that would use a high enough screen
> resolution for that font size to look too small. Plus, any half-way decent
> browser these days should have an easy zoom function. For me, in FF2 all I
> need to do is Ctrl-ScrollWheel.
>
> About the lack of tree view, that's really a VIM vs Emacs, tabs vs spaces
> kind of an issue.

What about this thread? Without the newsreader, given the 50 or so messages
here, how would I know that the one on the end specifically replies to that one
of mine?

> And as far as the other points, like you said, it's all
> customizable anyway. I've used many forums that have all the junk turned
> off. Plus I use AdBlock Plus ( http://adblockplus.org/en/ ) and NoScript, so
> I don't see any ads on that page (If I didn't use those, I would find the
> vast majority of the web literally unusable).

Yet I don't have to mess with any of that stuff with a newsreader! I don't have
to configure it, zoom it, install ad blockers, etc. It just works, and since
little data is transferred, it's fast, too. I also like how it's archived as a
bunch of text files.