The D programming language newsgroup should lift its game

Mathias Laurenz Baumann anonym001 at supradigital.org
Mon Apr 5 12:49:56 PDT 2010

After a bit of googling, threaded view is possible, just requires a little
work:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=255510.0

The guy who did this wrote:

"If you remember, I added that particular feature to my board some time
ago -- http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=212576.0 (I
even posted a screenshot.)
After the last message in that topic, I modified the Quick Reply feature
to actually add a Quick Reply box under EVERY message. Which made it much
easier to "build" an actual threaded view.
It worked, really. Very well. I've kept a copy of all the changes I made.

Only, I posted a poll, asking my viewers their feelings about the feature,
and only two people shared their enthusiasm -- and that's because they're
originally from LiveJournal where threaded view is all over the place.
Everybody else either said they didn't care, or reacted strongly against
the feature, saying it would make it more complicated to follow a
discussion.
While a threaded view is desireable when you're viewing a topic once and
long after it was created (as a guest, from a Google search, etc.), it is
not the best possible way to discuss when the topic is active.
Of course, there's always the possibility of not showing any posts, only a
complete list of indented subjects, with a "new" icon next to the messages
you haven't read yet, and a single click to get to that particular
message. But even if using Ajax to retrieve them, that would still require
a LOT of clicking, and keeping track of all unread messages, instead of
"last unread message"! Oh my, the agony..."

So, the users used to a forum might not even appreciate a threaded view
over a flat view. Though, I can't confirm that opinion.

--Marenz