Clang error recovery

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Apr 6 11:19:01 PDT 2010

Thank you for your comments, Robert Clipsham.

>The error column won't happen in DMD,<

The C# dotnet compiler too shows the error column. But I agree with you that it's not so important.

Few possible improvements of Dmd error messages, from that article, from your answers and from my experience:
- A compiler switch to stop the compilation after the first or few first error messages;
- Use the true Levenshtein distance to find the typing errors;
- Spell checker for types too;
- Maybe, as you suggest, changing the type to the spell checked type internally to avoid some of the later errors;
- Printing less error messages, increasing their semantic density. This is not easy to do;
- In Bugzilla I have added some bug reports that list specific situations where the error message can be improved (in theory even I can fix some of them. In the meantime one of them have being fixed by Don and Walter).

Bye,
bearophile