garbage collection in d

Daniel Oberhoff daniel at danieloberhoff.de
Tue Apr 6 13:32:30 PDT 2010

Hi,

Since a while I am following this new lanugage around and recently I
even read one of the books (learn to tango with d) and I must say I
mostly love it. what I love is that it seems to clean up a lot of the
mess that c++ is in, somehow brought to the point by the fact that 0x
has become 1x ( or hex ). c++ is my primary language simply because it
is the only portable high-level language with some establishment that I
can easily tie into java, python, .net etc.

mostly is rooted

a) in the chaos that the language still seems to be in in that there is
no sharp specification and a lot of things changing rapidly

and

b) my reluctance to the dependency on a complex runtime as the one d i
is bringing at least due to its garbage collector

a) is not really a disadvantage, and may well be an advantage, though I
have seen at least one project struggling with the lack of documentation

b) worries me a little. I am working towards real time systems with
tight time and sometimes also tight memory constraints, and a
conservative stop-the-world collector seems a bit daunting in this
context. is it reasonable to work without the collector, or are there
plans to upgrade to a concurrent one. also are there extensive
performance tests as how badly the collector interrupts real-time
processing?

keep up the good work, maybe I can contribute sometime, till then I
will linger a little more. :)