garbage collection in d

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Thu Apr 8 06:44:17 PDT 2010

On 2010-04-08 02:35:12 -0400, Walter Bright <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> said:

> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> Yeah, it's the write barriers that are the problem.  I can see such a
>> collector working in SafeD, but likely not in D proper.
>
> Write barriers trade off improved collection times for worse computation times.

Essentially, Apple traded the previous reference-counted system in
Objective-C which requires memory barriers to update reference counts
for a garbage-collected system which also requires memory barriers, but
can deallocate objects in a separate thread. It's almost no tradeoff
really.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com