Benchmarking in D

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Sun Apr 11 09:01:31 PDT 2010

Chris Mueller wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to benchmark some of my D routines for performance testing
>  and like to compare it with some alternative implementations in e.g.
> time and memory consumption.
>
> I'm not really experienced in this field and want to ask if someone can
> share his knowledge.
>
> Are there some tools providing by the operating system to look at the
> performance of a process? Are there any libraries in D that can help?

	On what OS? On linux, you can do:

time foo
	to get the run time for program foo, including elapsed clock time,
time spent in the program itself and time spent in the kernel on
behalf of the program (for I/O, mallocs, etc);

cat /proc/$(pidof foo)/status
	to get memory information for a running program. I don't know any
way to get the memory information once the program exits.

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr
Jabber: jeberger at jabber.fr