D compilation speed vs. go

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Sun Apr 11 11:51:31 PDT 2010

On 11/04/10 19:33, Robert Clipsham wrote:
> What I meant was the tango build system compiles one file at a time, so
> each time ldc is started up it has to reinitialize llvm. I wonder how
> the timings for ldc and dmd would change if all the files were passed at
> once...

For ldc it looks like there's about a 5 second difference (I don't have
exact timings), so it does save some time, not a huge amount though.

With dmd it makes an even bigger difference, the previous time of 6.9
seconds looks huge in comparison. Passing all files at once to dmd
causes the compilation time to be but down to about 1.7 seconds! That's
340k LoC in 1.7 seconds... I'm in awe :D