Fatal flaw in D design which is holding back widespread adoption

Matt none at none.com
Tue Apr 13 12:25:00 PDT 2010

BCS Wrote:

> I'm not even half joking (maybe a third). This is not a solvable problem. That said, I think just flat out avoiding any official stance on formatting would be better than what is there.

Indeed.  I don't think it should be solved, either.  I just don't think the style guide should state that tabs are 8 characters and indents are 4 characters.  When that's the case, you can't use tabs to indent.  You also have issues when moving around with the arrow keys in the indention areas, and other small issues.

If indeed there should be 8 character tabs, then so be it.  Just don't mix it up.

> But I really have a hard time caring
> about the opinions of someone who would drop a language over such an issue.

Aww.  If you couldn't tell from the humor, it was a joke.  And no, I don't use notepad, either.

-Matt