[gdb] Pushing the D patches upstream (again)

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Mon Apr 19 14:37:43 PDT 2010

On 19/04/10 19:12, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> Thanks for picking up this! I was following it but got lost in the
> paperwork.

By the looks of things this isn't a hard thing to do...

> I think there was never been a formal review of the patch, because the
> lack of copyright assignment. I thought the merge was stucked in the
> paperwork, not in the review.
>
> The problem is, the original authors are not *that* interested in
> following this right now AFAIK. At least John Demme has dissapeared a long
> time ago (it was hard to contact him) and I don't know what is Mihail
> Zenkov doing right now, maybe we have a better chance to have some help
> from him.

I guess we need to contact Mihail, as he'll know the status better than us.

> This is the tricky part, I don't know if John Demme and Mihail
> Zenkov want to do this. I hope that the modifications to the patch needed
> to be accepted could be done by somebody else.

I wouldn't mind doing this if they don't want to, providing other
paperwork is sorted out.

> All I know is in the bugs comments. I was waiting from some sort of
> GDB/FSF response before starting to poke people again :)

Ah, we probably know roughly the same then! I guess you know a tad more
though if you've poked people before though.

> The formatting part is easy, probably the only thing needed is to run the
> indent program with the -gnu option :)

Oooh, nice app, not seen that before! :)

> I don't know if they have naming conventions or other things that need
> manual intervention.

Even still, that wouldn't take much to do.

> Ok, it looks like there was a review, I guess I missed those threads. So
> the thing is more advanced that I thought! =)

Yaay! :D

> We should try to contact Mihail again then, he was very friendly and
> helpful when I did.

Agreed, I think he'll know better than us what needs doing with him
being the current maintainer of the patches.

> Thanks for pushing this forward again! I kinda forgot about it =)

Thanks for doing it in the first place, I'd probably not have thought
about it otherwise! I just came across it while writing patches to fix
dmd's debug info.