Remove real type

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Apr 22 14:41:47 PDT 2010

BCS:
>How much hard core number crunching do you do?<

I do FP numeric processing only once in a while, not much.

Steven Schveighoffer:
>I also find bearophile's requirement to be able to check that a D program outputs the same exact floating point digits as a C program ridiculous.<

I have done it some times when I translate code from C to D, hoping to use it as a way to test for translation errors, but you are right, different compiler optimizations can produce different results even if the programs use the same data type (like double).

Walter Bright
>the amount of 0 padding changes between language implementations (not the OS),<

Right, on Win32, GDC allocates 12 bytes for the real type, while DMD allocates 10 bytes.

As usual what this thread mostly shows is how ignorant I am. My hope is that if I keep learning, eventually I will become able to help D development.
Bye and thank you,
bearophile