Remove real type

dennis luehring dl.soluz at gmx.net
Thu Apr 22 14:58:55 PDT 2010

> If you change the OS, on the same hardware, you have different representation length inside structs. And they can waste lot of space.

the os can't change your representation length inside structs - or what
do you mean?

> Modern hardware doesn't support it. I think hardware will win.

which modern x86 hardware do not support the 80bit fpu type?

> So far I have never had to port code from C/Delphi/C++ that requires the 80 bit FP type, but this means nothing. Do you know software that needs it?

i've got an ~1mio lines of delphi/asm code project right in front of me
doing simulation - and i've got problems to convert the routines over to
c/c++ i need to check every simple case over and over

> You have software where 64 bit FPs are not enough, but 80 bits are exactly enough (and you don't need quad precision).

not exactly, but better

> With the current DMD specs, if CPUs add 128 bit FP the real type will become 128 bit, and you will lose all the possibility to use 80 bit FP from D

but a simple change or alias isn't helpful? maybe float80 or something
like that?

>>  btw: the 80bit code-generator part is much smaller/simpler in code than
>>  your 128bit software based impl
> Right. But I think libc6 contains their implementation. I don't know about Windows.

what implementation? of the software 128bit?