Remove real type

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Apr 23 04:52:53 PDT 2010

Robert Jacques:

>Ray-tracers are insanely memory IO bound, not compute bound,<

>From my experiments those little ray-tracers are mostly bound to the time taken by the ray intersection tests.

>So what you're seeing is the difference between 80-bits and 64-bits of memory, not the FP performance.<

It's more like 96 bits with LDC on Ubuntu.
Even if you are right, real-life programs often need to process good amounts of memory, so using reals they are slower.

In my site there are many benchmarks, not just raytracers. The ancient Whetstone benchmark is not I/O or memory bound.
With reals:   1988 MIPS
With doubles: 2278 MIPS

ldc -O3 -release -inline
Compiled with the daily build of ldc, Intel Celeron CPU 2.3 GHz, 32 bit Ubuntu.

Bye,
bearophile