Things I Learned from ACCU 2010

Clemens eriatarka84 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 06:06:45 PDT 2010

Walter Bright Wrote:

> Clemens wrote:
> > Walter Bright Wrote:
> >
> >> * Not all functional programming languages do concurrency well. Haskell and
> >>  OCaml in particular have severe fundamental problems with it such that
> >> parallelizing your code makes it slower.
> >
> > Do you have a reference on that? I'll produce one to the contrary:
> > http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/blog/2007/11/29#smoking-4core
>
> All I've got is Russel Winder's talk on it, Parallelism: The Functional
> Imperative, with the code and benchmarks. He ran them in real time.
>
> http://www.russel.org.uk/

Ah, ok. As bearophile noted, that person seems to have not much experience with Haskell, to put it politely. Obviously I didn't see the presentation and don't want to judge too harshly, but if your summary is an accurate representation of its take-away points, that reeks badly of intellectual dishonesty and FUD. See my link.

Or put another way, would you like someone who has never used D before to do a live presentation on it and come to premature conclusions like this?