Things I Learned from ACCU 2010

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Apr 23 09:43:59 PDT 2010

Walter Bright:

>You shouldn't have to be an expert in a language that is supposedly good at parallelism in order to get good results from it.<

Being easy to learn to use is not one of the qualities of Haskell. If you want to write efficient programs in Haskell you need lot of brain, you can see it also from the large amount of discussions here:
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Great_language_shootout
So I think you need experience and knowledge to do anything significant in Haskell, not just highly parallel programs.

>Basically, I'd welcome an explanatory riposte to Russel's results.<

If you want an explanation then I think you have to ask in (for example) an Haskell newsgroup, etc.

>Fair enough, but in order to dismiss the results I'd need to know *why* the Haskell version failed so badly, and why such a straightforward attempt at parallelism is the wrong solution for Haskell.<

Being Haskell not easy, it's even possible for me to not understand the explanation if some Haskell expert eventually explains me why that Haskell program was slow :-)

Bye,
bearophile