Things I Learned from ACCU 2010

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 23 18:43:35 PDT 2010

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 19:09:55 -0400, retard <re at tard.com.invalid> wrote:

> Fri, 23 Apr 2010 06:23:22 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> You shouldn't have to be an expert in a language that is supposedly good
>> at parallelism in order to get good results from it.
>
> Why not? Do you think parallelism is simple to manage (efficiently)? No
> offence but a total novice has zero understanding of e.g. threads or 3rd
> party libraries. The best he can do is to come up with something using
> the stdlib Thread classes. Usually it fails miserably due to deadlocks or
> other synchronization issues with locks.

I think his point was that a person who *does* understand parallelism and
threading couldn't get it right.  Not being an expert in the *language*
does not make you a novice at threading.

Of course someone who does not understand threading/parallelism is bound
to have troubles no matter what the language until he/she gains more
experience.  You almost have to experience a deadlock-after-2-weeks
problem to really get how important threading issues are (I did).

-Steve