Things I Learned from ACCU 2010

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Apr 23 20:40:32 PDT 2010

"retard" <re at tard.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:hqt94i$2sgv$2 at digitalmars.com...
> Fri, 23 Apr 2010 08:57:54 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>> On 04/23/2010 07:00 AM, Clemens wrote:
>>> (As an aside, I'm generally a bit put off by the hostility towards
>>> programming language research and theory in the D community. "We don't
>>> need no stinking theory, we'll just roll our own ad-hoc solution which
>>> will work much better because ivory-tower academics are completely out
>>> of touch with reality anyway." Bleh.)
>>
>> I hope that trend has been definitively reversed.
>>
>> Andrei
>
> Instead of hostility we now have blissful ignorance. Maybe I should post
> here more often again..

When the academic researchers keep their work squirreled away in academic
circles and written in such a convoluted style that only other long-term
ivory-tower residents can get far enough past the language to see the actual
meaning, it's a wonder that *anyone* finds it surprising that programmers
are ignorant of it.

And that's just the researchers that actually *do* know what they're doing.
Let's not fool ourselves into thinking that the *majority* of academia
actually knows it's head from it's ass (yea, that's right - I've brought it
back to hostility).