JavaScript is the "VM" to target for D

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Sat Apr 24 12:22:37 PDT 2010

Sat, 24 Apr 2010 14:06:19 -0400, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 05:36:30PM +0000, retard wrote:
>> It gives different kinds of flexibility. The advantage of Javascript is
>> easy interfacing with the DOM, the html document and all kinds of
>> powers the browser is providing.
>
> Yeah, this came to mind only after I made the last post. The best
> solution would probably be exposing the DOM objects to the child process
> somehow, probably in a process similar to how browser plug-ins work.

The problem is, the most common object code interfaces on top of the OS
have been optimized for C/C++ and that won't change anytime soon. The
layer isn't really language agnostic. If favors C/C++ compatible
languages.

>> However, there is no cross-platform
>> way of controlling this system manually on a proper abstraction level.
>
> I don't know what you mean here... for security, there are no controls
> on Javascript, you just get what the browser offers you and nothing
> more. An OS level security restriction would be the same thing.

The Javascript world is a bit naive today, but the middleware layer will
likely become more complex later. You can see some security features in
most browser plugins. Javascript will eventually replace these.