JavaScript is the "VM" to target for D

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 14:17:06 PDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 08:41:07PM +0000, retard wrote:
> How does this prevent platform lockdown?

It doesn't. I don't particularly care.

> I haven't really seen the native client system used in any crucial real
> world site.

I'm referring to how they run browser components all as separate processes
with restricted tokens to improve stability and security, not the native
client, which I find completely useless.

> So, what technologies should the minority use then? Nothing? You're
> suggesting a cross-platform solution but you don't even believe yourself
> that it really should be cross-platform. That's pretty dishonest.

The websites that want to cater to them can offer alternative methods, and/or
gracefully degrade.

The websites that don't care about them lose out on that market opportunity.

Web 2.0 works like this now, but instead of operating systems, it is
browsers. If you don't use IE7+ or Firefox (which require two separate code
paths in a number of cases), you're pretty much on your own. Nobody cares
when their website doesn't work in Lynx.