Remove real type

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Apr 24 16:44:46 PDT 2010

On 04/24/2010 05:26 PM, strtr wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:

>>> How can you tell?

>>> http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~nd/surprise_96/journal/vol4/cs11/report.html#Transfer%20Function
>>>
>>>   It wasn't for nothing I mentioned threshold functions
>>>
>>> Especially in the more complex spiking neural networks bases on
>>> dynamical systems, thresholds are kind of important.
>>
>> Meh. You can't train using a gradient method unless the output is smooth
>> (infinitely derivable).
>
> Which was exactly why I mentioned evolutionary algorithms.

So are you saying there are neural networks with thresholds that are
trained using evolutionary algorithms instead of e.g. backprop? I found
this:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~mlittman/courses/ml03/iCML03/papers/batchis.pdf

which does seem to support the point. I'd have to give it a closer look
to see whether precision would affect training.

Andrei