DMD crash! and JSON files

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Mon Apr 26 10:33:59 PDT 2010

On 26/04/10 18:12, Walter Bright wrote:
> I kinda hate to do that because the distribution file is getting so
> large. I've even considered removing the docs from it (as these are just
> fine online).

Perhaps the archive could be split up into multiple archives? It
shouldn't be too hard to split up the release archive into
windows/linux/osx/freebsd specific archives, and for the latter 3 you
could switch to a better compression algorithm to save more space.
Without splitting the archive up:

9.7M    dmd.2.042.zip (.042 was what I happened to have to hand)
6.3M    dmd.2.042.tar.xz
7.8M    dmd.2.042.tar.bz2
9.2M    dmd.2.042.tar.gz

Removing the windows/osx directories, (I'm on linux, seemed the right
thing to test):

3.2M    dmd.2.042.tar.xz
3.8M    dmd.2.042.tar.bz2
4.7M    dmd.2.042.tar.gz

So by splitting up the archives/using different methods of compression
you can save a lot of space. It shouldn't be too hard to automate the
process to save effort.

All this said, this is the 21st century, we can live with a few extra MB
here and there :) Compared to other compilers this distribution is tiny
;) All this said, I'd love to see a mirror for the dmd archives,
ftp.digitalmars.com is incredibly slow :/