Debugging with GDB on Mac

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Wed Apr 28 12:13:27 PDT 2010

On 28/04/10 19:55, Sean Kelly wrote:
> Has anyone gotten this to work?  I was looking into a bug today and
> gdb can't find a symbol table at all.

It worked for me when I used OS X aaagees ago (before dmd got support
for it), using ldc. I can't comment on dmd here. I'd suggest if gdb
can't find the symbol table when you compile with -gc then OS X does
debugging info slightly differently to linux, causing it not to be
found. If you could compile a couple of small test cases, one in D and
one in C or C++, both with debug info, then use objdump --dwarf you may
be able to see what's going on so this can be fixed. I'd definitely
report a bug for it (make sure you make it block #4044 of course :)).