Less than 30 days to bound copies of TDPL

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Apr 28 13:23:06 PDT 2010

On 04/28/2010 03:14 PM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:

>>> There's an extra dot in your second URL which downloads an empty PDF file. And an extra parenthesis in your first URL. :)
>>
>> Good point (plus a good pun now (actually two if you count the
>> parenthesis (I'm on a roll over here))). For the lazy:
>>
>> http://erdani.com
>>
>> http://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://erdani.com/tdpl/cover.pdf
>>
>> http://erdani.com/tdpl/cover.pdf
>>

>> Andrei
>
> If I see any puns like this in your book...
>

> ..then I'm buying an extra copy and sending it to a friend.

Whew. In fact it ain't that bad:

[~] cd tdpl
[~/tdpl] grep pun *.tex
0100-intro.tex:punctuation that  makes, for example,  ``him.''  and
``him''  count as
0300-statements.tex:         writeln("a punctuation mark.");
0300-statements.tex:   string y = "I'm here to make a point (and a pun).";
[~] _

So only one ostensible pun. There are a couple undeclared ones though.
One that comes to mind:

@import@ is akin
to the  \cc{\#include} preprocessor  directive found in\sbs  C and\sbs
C++  but is  closer in  semantics to  Python's @import@:  there  is no
textual    inclusion    taking    place---just    a    symbol    table
acquisition.   Repeated   @import at s   of   the  same   file   are   of
no import.