Clojure Protocols & expression problem

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Wed Apr 28 20:54:42 PDT 2010

On 2010-04-28 21:39:41 -0400, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> said:

> Andrei Alexandrescu:
>
>> Good question. Statistically, I'd say very few people are interested in
>> double dispatch.
>
> I see. I'd like to know what CLOS (CLisp) users too think about this.
>
> (Generally if a feature become syntactically clean and nice, and it's
> written in the manual, surely more people can find the desire to use
> it. But this is just speculation.)

I think you're correct on that.

I'll point out that categories in Objective-C are used all the time and
basically solve the same group of problem double dispatch does, but
also have other uses. I think being able to attach your own extension
methods to an existing class (methods you can override in subclass, or
extensions to subclasses) is a much easier concept to grasp than double
dispatch. The feature being used a lot in the standard library surely
helps too.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com