Masahiro Nakagawa and SHOO invited to join Phobos developers

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Apr 29 13:17:03 PDT 2010

"retard" <re at tard.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:hrcokt$lkb$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Thu, 29 Apr 2010 15:39:55 -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>
>> Seriously, were they *trying* to prevent people from understanding it?
>> If so, I don't think they could have done a better job. (At least not
>> without hiring the FSF's "Let's do everything we can to enure our
>> profession is needed as much as possible" lawyers.)
>
> The rationale behind license text is to make it enforceable. If a lawyer
> cannot protect the author against infringement due to problems in the
> license text, the license is basically useless.

I'm seeing some vague references to zlib being unenforceable, but I've yet
to see anything remotely substantial to back it up. Or even an
unsubstantiated-but-direct claim for that matter. I have no way to be
remotely sure your argument here isn't a strawman WRT zlib.

> If you have problems reading the text, some authorities such as the
> Creative Commons provide shiny graphical interfaces to the license.

I never touch "simplified" explanations. The actual text of the license
itself *is* the legal document. That other stuff...isn't. If push came to
shove, how can I sensibly assume that a court would place precedence on the
unofficial simplified version over the actual license itself? I can't, so
the simplified versions are useless to me.

> Of
> course, I'm sure no one will complain if you release all your work under
> a very liberal license or don't limit the use in any way. It's always a
> pleasure to steal good work. "What's yours is mine, what's mine isn't
> yours" - that's how the communism worked.

Why stop at communism? Let's just invoke Godwin's law outright. That'll
prove a point. "You're argument is like Nazism." There. That makes my
argument the winning one now, right?