Masahiro Nakagawa and SHOO invited to join Phobos developers

Don nospam at nospam.com
Thu Apr 29 13:18:04 PDT 2010

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Don" <nospam at nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:hrclc9$gjg$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> "Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
>>> news:hrcbrr$2t7e$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> It looks like the Tango devs are pretty much settled on BSD-only with
>>> some hack to get around the binary attribution thing:
>>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/ticket/1701  (*Shrug*, well, at
>>> least it's not as insanely verbose and impenetrable as Apache 2.0...)
>>>
>>> I *hate* licenses...(That's why I use the zlib one, none of the public
>>> domain problems, all of the freedoms that I've been told Boost offers,
>>> and none of Boost's idiotic over-verbosity.)
>> Yeah, we all feel the same way.
>> But I don't think the boost license is verbose. It's 4% of the length of
>> the GPL:
>>
>> zlib:     957 characters
>> boost:    1361 (1/3 of which comes from US legal requirements).
>> Apache2:                 9219
>> Academic free license3: 10332
>> GPL 3:                  32069
>
> Saying a license isn't verbose because it's much shorter than the GPL is
> like saying a particular restaurant is good just because it's better than
> eating out of a dumpster.

Well, there's not many places to eat in this town, outside of the
dumpsters. Boost and zlib were the only ones I found.

> Seriously, were they *trying* to prevent people from understanding it?  If
> so, I don't think they could have done a better job. (At least not without
> hiring the FSF's "Let's do everything we can to enure our profession is
> needed as much as possible" lawyers.)

Have you read the rationale statement for the Boost license? (on the
boost website).

The really appalling one is the OSI license. There's a huge document
which purports to explain the license, but it doesn't explain it at all.
It's just a polemic against the GPL. The FSF is much clearer than the OSI.