Mac OSX installer for dmd

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Aug 2 16:12:56 PDT 2010

dsimcha wrote:
> It just seems like common sense to me that a module system (and a language in
> general) should do what you mean as long as there's no ambiguity about what you
> mean (without forcing you to specify things redundantly, such as by using
> qualified names), but not guess what you mean when there is ambiguity.  Is there
> any other language that gets this right?

As far as I know, no other language does this right.

While it seems common sense in retrospect, coming up with it took a while. D1 is
close, but D2 shines.

Rob Pike (of Go fame) says Go doesn't allow function overloading because of the
confusion it causes. That's understandable given C++'s uncontrollable
overloading and open namespaces. D2 doesn't have that problem.