Mac OSX installer for dmd

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Aug 2 18:30:58 PDT 2010

Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> For me the problem with D is dependency control. You don't know what
> symbol come from which module. Yes, I know you can do explicit
> dependencies in D with static and selective imports, the same you can do
> the inverse in other languages with the import module.*-like syntax, but
> I think D got the default wrong, I prefer explicit by default.

It's a reasonable point of view, but the motivating thing for me here is making
it easy for people to write quick&dirty programs.

> With this default, I think complaining when no symbol from an imported
> module is used would be better to avoid extra unneeded dependencies. But
> I suggested that before and you don't like it.

While that idea has merit, too, I feel it would become rather annoying to people
who want to:

     import std.all;

or who use conditional compilation. It would also mess with template
definitions, as the symbols in them are not lookup up until they are instantiated.