Embedded software DbC

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Aug 2 23:07:57 PDT 2010

Kagamin:
> I doubt that degradation is acceptable in rocket launch.

Then it's the hardware that needs a more flexible design :-) Like something closer to a unmanned shuttle that starts its fly with a 30 degrees "jump trampoline", etc. Just as Space Shuttle has shown that the reentry of your space ship doesn't need to be designed like a stone with parachutes, better designs can be found for the takeoff too, to make them closer to an aeroplane, with more space for errors and corrections, and a smaller amount of fuel burned.

> There can be other factors: with a train you have to control only acceleration, the rocket has much more parameters to control - more bugs in logic.

Bugs are always possible, and there is no way to be sure to avoid them all. But fuzzy logic is used in control systems more complex than a simple control for missiles, they are used inside a large number of the electronic gadgets coming from Japan, their control systems can be quite complex, and they generally work :-)

Bye,
bearophile