Why don't other programming languages have ranges?

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Tue Aug 3 00:39:10 PDT 2010

Mon, 02 Aug 2010 23:47:49 -0700, Jim Balter wrote:

> "Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
> news:i34op7$2hbj$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> Learning how to document your code might also help. It looks like a
>>> mess.
>>
>> I think it takes some good amount of courage and confidence to put
>> one's identity and code out there for everyone to criticize.
>> Conversely, criticizing from the comfort of anonymity and without
>> producing "do as I do, not only as I say" examples doesn't sit well.
>>
>> Andrei
>
> Ad hominem argument. If you disagree that it looks like a mess, you
> should argue that. If you concur, then it doesn't matter who pointed it
> out. And anonymity on the internet has been held up as a fundamental
> right for decades.

To be honest, I also questioned the expertise of some members of the
community. The reason is, comparing complex software technologies is
hard. Some examples: XML parsing with SAX vs DOM, Qt vs GTK+, F#'s type
system vs Haskell's type system, vi(m) vs emacs.

One really needs to have a thorough knowledge of all technologies
involved before making relevant conclusions. The conclusion also reflects
one's personal values. I don't know many people who can give an
authoritative and exhaustive summary of these things. A professor might
understand the "ivory tower" side of the issue, senior developers' vision
is the "pragmatic" one, but even those together don't form the full
truth. A project manager or a novice coder might value some other aspects.

My recommendation was just to study at least one other languge or theorem
prover before wasting time on useless flame wars.