Andrei's Google Talk

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 3 17:30:02 PDT 2010

On 8/3/2010 5:21 PM, Adam Ruppe wrote:

> Then, just ditch that sloooow GNU ld on linux.

I played with using gold some.. a newer linker, and in general it's a good bit
faster then the older ld (I want to say it was about half the runtime, ie, twice
as fast).  However, in running the dmd test suite, gold causes failures that
don't appear with the older ld.  I haven't invested the time to dig into it.. it
was a quick and dirty experiment.

Not that gold is up to the speed of optlink, but any improvement is good. :)

If anyone is interested in reducing the test case (hopefully to the point of not
requiring any d runtime or phobos code -- ie seriously minimal -- I can go find
the .d code that triggered the problem.  On the other hand, it'd probably be
easy enough to find just by running the dmd test suite that's checked into the
svn tree.  I bet it's not one of the few tests that aren't public yet.

Later,
Brad