Andrei's Google Talk

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 04:43:08 PDT 2010

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 20:21:49 -0400, Adam Ruppe <destructionator at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 8/3/10, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>> Andrei put together a benchmark that shows that D compiles 4 times
>> faster
>> than Go.
>
> I've found D1 tends to be much faster than D2 as well. The dmd version
> 1 is so fast that I often think it doesn't even run!
>
> D2's (relative) slowness I've tracked down to import std.stdio; - it
> instantiates a bunch of templates just on import. We should be able to
> fix this with a little work, and put D even further ahead of the
> competition.

I also feel that templates inappropriately slow down compilation.  For
dcollections, when compiling without unit tests enabled, compilation is
less than a second.  With unit tests enabled, which instantiate about 8
instances of each object (of which there are 8), compilation takes over a
minute.  I still don't know why, but it seems to be evenly spread
throughout compilation (compiling with -v shows it progressing through
many functions).

> Then, just ditch that sloooow GNU ld on linux.

I would be surprised if ld was a culprit in compilation slowdown.

-Steve