Andrei's Google Talk

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Aug 4 09:51:32 PDT 2010

"Leandro Lucarella" <luca at llucax.com.ar> wrote in message
news:20100804132228.GG21917 at llucax.com.ar...
> Rory Mcguire, el  4 de agosto a las 12:37 me escribiste:
>> Leandro Lucarella wrote:
>>
>> > BCS, el  3 de agosto a las 16:04 me escribiste:

>> > Nice talk, I think the guy that asked what is the biggest application
>> > written in D deserved a book. I'm suffering the lack of D applications
>> > for benchmarking the GC, I had to stay with D1 because Dil is the
>> > *only*
>> > non-trivial application written in D that I could find, and is
>> > D1/Tango.
>> >

>> What type of apps are you looking for?
>
> Anything that can be automatically run for benchmarking, if they do
> intensive use of the GC or need small pauses, much better. But if it's
> D2, I'm sorry but is too late, I'll stick to D1 for now, when I'm finish
> I probably try to port it to D2 and ask again.

Building Goldie's documentation (it uses a custom doc generator) using
"makeDocs" might work:

http://www.semitwist.com/goldiedocs/v0.3/Docs/Tools/GenDocs/

There's a number of places in it right now where it uses .dup to work around
D1's lack of D2-style const. And with the default settings in the "makeDocs"
script (it's just a one-liner), it does a fair amount of string-building via
the concatenation operator. Yea, I need to optimize ;) On my (aging) system
the whole thing currently takes 20 seconds to run. It does do a bit of file
I/O though, I don't know if that would get in the way of what you're trying
to measure.

You'd have to install Goldie (and SemiTwist D Tools) first:

http://www.semitwist.com/goldiedocs/v0.3/Docs/Install/

I think people have generally been avoiding writing GC-intensive code in D
though. Although, come to think of it, bearophile could probably supply you
with some deliberately GC-intensive code specifically for benchmarking.