Andrei's Google Talk

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Aug 4 12:41:32 PDT 2010

On 08/04/2010 01:38 PM, Tomek Sowiński wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu napisał:
>
>> I tested on two laptops (Ubuntu and Mac OSX). I compiled the two
>> languages' standard libraries by using the provided makefiles, after
>> touching all .go and all .d files involved. Then I divided the
>> compilation times by the line counts of *.go/*.d files as wc has them
>> and compared the results.
>>
>> On OSX dmd was 4.3 times faster. On Ubuntu, the ratio was 4.45.
>
> Was D with or without --unittest? I'm asking because unittests are instances and plenty of Phobos is templates for which AFAIK much work
> is deferred to instantiation.

No -unittest. In Phobos the unittest build turns -unittest on separately
for each module, so I can't quickly test the build speed with -unittest
on. That being said, there's still plenty of non-template code in Phobos.

BTW Phobos is built in release mode (as I assume go's library is).
Building in debug mode reduces build time by more than a third.

Andrei