Andrei's Google Talk

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Wed Aug 4 12:29:22 PDT 2010

Nick Sabalausky, el  4 de agosto a las 12:51 me escribiste:
> >> What type of apps are you looking for?
> >
> > Anything that can be automatically run for benchmarking, if they do
> > intensive use of the GC or need small pauses, much better. But if it's
> > D2, I'm sorry but is too late, I'll stick to D1 for now, when I'm finish
> > I probably try to port it to D2 and ask again.
>
> Building Goldie's documentation (it uses a custom doc generator) using
> "makeDocs" might work:
>
> http://www.semitwist.com/goldiedocs/v0.3/Docs/Tools/GenDocs/
>
> There's a number of places in it right now where it uses .dup to work around
> D1's lack of D2-style const. And with the default settings in the "makeDocs"
> script (it's just a one-liner), it does a fair amount of string-building via
> the concatenation operator. Yea, I need to optimize ;) On my (aging) system
> the whole thing currently takes 20 seconds to run. It does do a bit of file
> I/O though, I don't know if that would get in the way of what you're trying
> to measure.
>
> You'd have to install Goldie (and SemiTwist D Tools) first:
>
> http://www.semitwist.com/goldiedocs/v0.3/Docs/Install/

Thanks I'll see if it's not much trouble to install, I'd like to build
a benchmark without tons of dependencies.

> I think people have generally been avoiding writing GC-intensive code in D
> though. Although, come to think of it, bearophile could probably supply you
> with some deliberately GC-intensive code specifically for benchmarking.

Yes, I borrowed some deliberately GC-intensive benchmarks done by him,
most notably the voronoi generator[1], which made me sweat[2] more than
once :)

[1] http://codepad.org/xGDCS3KO
[2] http://llucax.com.ar/blog/blog/post/-7a56a111