Andrei's Google Talk

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Aug 4 19:08:51 PDT 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu:
> Walter is more silent than usual because he's working very hard on the
> 64-bit compiler. He hopes to have one by the end of this month. His next
> big goal is shared library support.

I am sorry to say this, but I think porting the current back-end to 64 bit is a waste of time because it will not be used for professional usages. I think LLVM will be the main back-end for professional usages of D2, with maybe GDC2 or later even a dotnet D2 compiler too.

I think it's more important for Walter to focus on filling D2 design holes, removing front-end bugs and implementing unfinished features (I'd also like Walter to modify the D2 front-end to make it a bit simpler to attach it to LLVM).

Bye,
bearophile