Andrei's Google Talk

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Thu Aug 5 11:41:36 PDT 2010

Thu, 05 Aug 2010 13:31:18 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> On 08/05/2010 01:23 PM, retard wrote:

>>> Walter is more silent than usual because he's working very hard on the
>>> 64-bit compiler. He hopes to have one by the end of this month. His
>>> next big goal is shared library support.
>>
>> Ok, Walter is working on a 64-bit compiler, then on the shared library
>> support. That's great. But many of us would like to know who is
>>
>>   * managing the communication with the user community * managing the
>>   communication with the language/compiler developers * managing the
>>   bugfixes to the spec
>>   * managing the compiler bugfix release (minor version) process *
>>   managing the language development debate * coordinating the future
>>   language development (roadmap page of the trac) * managing the public
>>   relations with the people outside the core
>> community
>>
>> It seems Walter wants to be a lonely wolf. Nobody else is allowed to do
>> anything listed above unless you're Andrei. There are no managers, we
>> only have experts working with their favorite features and no
>> communication exists between these persons or the community.
>
> I think this is a gross misrepresentation. Are you sure you're not
> forgetting a lot of contributors? If anything, the trend is toward
> opening the doors to more, not less people.

I understood that all the contributors are waiting for the decision of a
single person. Walter needs to review all compiler patches, he needs to
review all patches to the spec, he needs to defend D on reddit,
newsgroups, and all other forums. He handles the whole release process.
He doesn't tell anything about future directions so nobody knows about
them.

The management model doesn't scale when you get more and more
contributors. At some point Walter won't have enough time to review all
contributions even if it didn't do anything else.

For example now that he is focusing on 64-bit support, all discussion
about rewriting the spec, fixing bugs, improving the other parts of the
toolchain, or developing the language further (D 2.1 or 3.0) has stalled.
Many people have asked bearophile to stop discussing new language
features because it takes away too much valuable time from Walter.
Something is wrong here.