Andrei's Google Talk

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 04:28:41 PDT 2010

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 16:37:36 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>> Who is working on the D spec documentation, if anyone? I know Andrei
>> and others work on the Phobos docs, but what about the D docs?
>
> The D docs are actually part of the Phobos under source control, and the
> people who work on the library have commit privileges for it. Although
> nobody has checked in any changes to it other than the changelog and
> some minor formatting stuff.

I just did (fixed a lot of stuff in the array page).

A couple comments:
1. There is no guideline for updating the spec (at least that I could
find).  I deduced $(V1) and $(V2) and figured out what $(LNAME2) is, but
lack of guidelines may be partially to blame for why few people edit it.
2. It seems like the documentation is HTML written as ddoc.  I see $(P)
tags, $(LI) tags, etc.   Can't we just write it as HTML?  I think many
would feel much more comfortable that way.  It's also more supported by
editors.  I forgot a closing parentheses on one tag, and it screwed up the
entire page.  I had to find it by hand, whereas an HTML editor could
red-flag a tag without a closing tag, or you could run it through an XML
verifier (if it's xhtml).

-Steve