Andrei's Google Talk

Graham Fawcett fawcett at uwindsor.ca
Fri Aug 6 11:24:17 PDT 2010

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 19:56:55 +0200, Johannes Pfau wrote:

> A simple html to pdf conversion might not produce good results.

Converting *anything* to PDF might not produce good results. :)

There's at least one excellent, open-source HTML-to-PDF converter:

   http://code.google.com/p/wkhtmltopdf/

There is also the very good Prince XML, which is free for non-commercial
use:

  http://princexml.com/

> in the long term something like http://sphinx.pocoo.org together with
> ReStructuredText might be the best solution (for general
> documentation, not for api documentation though). But the initial
> effort to 'port' the existing documentation is quite high.

That would just introduce a different markup language that someone will
have to learn. I like ReST and have used it extensively -- but why not
Markdown, or MediaWiki Markup, or Texinfo, or etc. ad nauseum?

Meanwhile, the intial effort to 'port' the existing documentation to
HTML is zero. :)

Best,
Graham