Template constraints error messages using cputs()

Don nospam at nospam.com
Fri Aug 6 13:50:45 PDT 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Lutger wrote:
>> bearophile wrote:
>>
>>> Andrei Alexandrescu:
>>> And just to express my feelings with better clarity, I think
>>> pragma(msg) is so
>>> buggy and unflexible that it deserves to go killed :-)
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> bearophile
>>
>> What kind of bugs?
>
> And how would changing its syntax help with them?
>
> Andrei

pragma(msg) creates its output as part of its semantic pass. And that's
a problem, because the need to deal with forward references means that
the order in which symbols get the semantic pass run on them isn't
defined. And the semantics of pragma(msg) aren't well defined, because
it wasn't designed to be used in this way (it was intended to only allow
string literals). So you get inconsistencies.