Andrei's Google Talk

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisprog at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 19:19:19 PDT 2010

On Friday 06 August 2010 18:07:51 Walter Bright wrote:
> Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > Unfortunately, in order to be able to use D where I work, I'd have to be
> > able to link the D code with C/C++ code which has been built with Visual
> > Studio and its compiler and linker. And, if I understand correctly, that
> > means that the D code has to be linked with Microsoft's linker. If
> > that's a misunderstanding on my part, then linking D with Microsoft's
> > linker would be unnecessary, and dmc should do the job just fine (though
> > only needing the one C/C++ linker over two would still be an
> > improvement). But as I understand it, any C or C++ code which is going
> > to be used with D code in Windows has to have been built with dmc.
>
> This actually used to be possible with dmc, but Microsoft has repeatedly
> changed formats (some of them are secret, too) and I gave up endlessly
> chasing those changes.

So, it is understandably not possible to do the linking with dmc. Would it be
possible to make it so that dmd could link using Microsoft's linker? Or is
enough of what Microsoft's doing secret and/or too difficult to keep track of to
make it possible to use Microsoft's linker with dmd?

- Jonathan M Davis