Andrei's Google Talk

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Sat Aug 7 15:19:33 PDT 2010

On 08/07/2010 02:45 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> A typical HTML source file is about double the size it needs to be if
> HTML were designed better. A lot of sites did work hard to try to shrink
> their HTML pages so they'd load faster.

Double the size? There's no way that was true back when HTML first came
out. The gobs of tables and 1 pixel image crap for formatting was not
there at the beginning. There were no style sheets. There wasn't
JavaScript, which is where a lot of the bloat comes from these days.

I think you came late to the party and didn't see it evolve at the
earliest stages. The first pages were basically headers, paragraphs of
text, and links. A small picture on a page would overwhelm any amount of
HTML markup.