Documentation generation

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 7 19:22:30 PDT 2010

== Quote from Bernard Helyer (b.helyer at gmail.com)'s article
> I'm writing a compiler, not a half-arsed documentation generator (because
> if I wrote the DDoc stuff, that's exactly what it would be).

I'll concur with Walter.  I think that sometimes power users of a given
tool/feature fail to realize that very often simple, good enough and works out of
the box beats well-designed, feature-packed, efficient, but a PITA to set up and
use, overkill for simple cases, and not available out of the box.  I understand
treating ddoc as a low priority feature, but **please** support it eventually, as
the whole point of it is that it's just there on any implementation (nothing
separate to download/configure) and just works for the simplest 80-90% of cases
even if its deficiencies become obvious in the last 10-20%.

In general I also think that DDoc's evolution is actually good design strategy.  I
wish more tools were designed by pinning down how the simplest 80-90% of cases
should work first, treating that as a constraint and then figuring out how to make
the most complicated 10-20% work within the constraint.  Designing with
"everything must be possible" as the first goal encourages overengineering such
that users with simple needs end up reinventing the wheel because it's the path of
least resistance.  For example, I'd probably never use Ddoc if I had to use XML
for it.