Andrei's Google Talk

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Aug 7 20:36:52 PDT 2010

"Mafi" <mafi at example.org> wrote in message
news:i3j9el$5m7$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Am 07.08.2010 06:39, schrieb Nick Sabalausky:
> (...)
>>
>> I use Programmer's Notepad 2 which does parenthesis-matching
>> out-of-the-box.
>>

> Hey, you are the first person I heard of that also uses PN2 :) . It isn't
> a full-featured IDE but it's a great editor for programming, isn't it.

There are a number of things I would definitely like to see added/improved:
http://code.google.com/p/pnotepad/issues/list?can=1&q=reporter%3Ansetbtgnws

But those are generally fairly minor things, and a number of them I think
are really more scintilla than PN2 (PN2 uses the scintilla text-edit
control).

So yea, overall I've been very happy with it, much more than any other
editor I've tried. Doesn't have the sluggishness and bloat of VS.NET and
Eclipse (doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Eclipse, but I can live
without bells and whistles, especially if I'm not using Java). Doesn't have
the strange "10% CPU usage while idle" or long start-up time or
non-MRU-based ctrl-tab system that C::B has, or C::B's insistence on always
trying to open HTML in a WYSIWYG instead of text-mode. Doesn't do the weird
"EOL isn't treated as EOL" behavior some other editors do. Doesn't require
tons of configuration. Highlights D out-of-the-box (and *not* by pretending
it's C/C++). And it does all the basics I need, like basic project support,
external command-line tools, customizable cmd-line-tool output parsing for
jump-to-file/line/position, keyboard commands for comment/indent/unindent,
find in files, show/hide whitespace and/or EOL markers, tabs <-> spaces,
doesn't try to use any weird skins, doesn't waste UI space, doesn't have
"invisible-text-syndrome", etc.